“Sunlight dapples the forest floor. A copper fox appears through the gloaming, then vanishes again with one sweet, sharp bark, an invitation to follow him to into the fanciful weave of light and shadow.”
– Michele Morgan
This time last year, I discovered bouldering. I took part in Camp NaNoWriMo, and focused on walking more. For 2018, I worked on my mentorship project, left my old dayjob and focused on the Spring Cleaning aspect of the season.
Reflections on the Journey
i. Read 12 books: 4/12 – I’m technically a book behind, but I’m over half way through Bare Naked Bravery (Emily Ann Peterson), recently began The Chimp Paradox in preparation for a project, and started reading Michael Mcintyre’s Life & Laughing for fun. I am reading most days, and I’m happy with that for now.
ii. Track my wordcount and aim for 100,000 words: 06,154/100,000 words – I wrote nothing until April 28th, but that 366 words carried me over the 6,000-word mark for the year, and also got me back into a manuscript I’m “pantsing” -> writing by the seat of my pants, with no real plans.
iii. Wellness Weekly: For April, I focused on diet and movement. I bought myself a cheap fitness tracker (after Fitbit ruined both my other trackers with their broken update in December) and committed to using the built-in breathing exercise. I tried a new meditation exercise of walking through a garden looking for symbols, and refocused on building a gratitude practise again.
Smoke and Ember
The cats were rather confused by the heatwave after last month’s two bouts of snow, and then April ended with the traditional showers. Smoke was very upset with us for not stopping the rain.
They seem to be settling into a bit of a routine around sleeping in our bedroom at night (sometimes…) and while H worked night shifts, both cats slept together on the bed for hours at a time.
We’re learning when to play with them to tire them out enough for them to sleep when we do, although there are good days and less-good ones…
Jumping the Wall…
- I was featured in the April issue of Badassery magazine, this time talking about Reclaiming your Resolutions.
- One sekrit-project was my mentorship work, and a second was that of my new job, which I begin in May.
- I watched the Book of Life, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, and all four Hunger Games movies this month.
- I did actually write by the end of the month, and read a kids book which I’m counting for the fun of it.
The Path Ahead…
- May will be a time of transition: old dayjob to new one, including new dress code, town, and face-to-face work rather than sat behind a telephone. Wish me luck!
- I’m aiming to get back to focusing on my fitness in May, with both healthier diet and regular workouts and walks.