“We begin in the heart of the darkness. Winter is full upon the Earth; snow veils the landscape, thin trees are brittle with ice, and stars shatter the black mirror of the sky.
The air is cold, metallic, sharp to breathe; scarves of woodsmoke drift in the sky over rooftops outlined with twinkling lights, and porch lamps gleam from early in the afternoon until long into the night.”
:: Michelle Morgan ::
This month was November: story take-over time.
Reflections on the Journey
i. Read 12 books: 10 / 11 – I am over half-way through two books, and am confident I’ll finish both by the end of December.
ii. Edit novel draft ready for submission: 1/1 submission – On hold until December, as stated last month, but I have throughout this year, submitted a novel manuscript to a handful of agents, and I’ll be back to working on that short story this month.
iii. Track my wordcount and aim for 100,000 words: 82,187/75,000 words – I wrote 50,351 words this month, thus passed my revised aim of 75k for the year. If I wrote 600 words a day, I’d still pass my original goal of 100k. It felt completely impossible in September, when I had only written 23k across 9 months… I’m counting this as a win; just having 82k is immense from that number 2 months ago, but we shall see!
NaNo16 :: Week 5 Update:
In my last update, I was behind: by 3,840 words. Across the final weekend, I wrote 10,198 words (in 2 days!), crossing the 50k mark of Planes Daughter on the 28th. I didn’t even need to use my “I’m allowed to count all new words in November” because I wrote over 50,000 words purely on Planes Daughter, which I didn’t begin until November 1st. Although I’ve won before, it’s more often than not with these extra little “rebel” statuses. This was only the 2nd or 3rd I didn’t use any sneaky methods to pass!
iv. Re-create a wellness routine: Still exercised every other day, made bread, and saw Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them: my first 3D movie. Work is getting stressful, and I had two exams this month, but things are manageable.
Total XP for November: 1,150/1,250
Total XP towards Level Up: 4,725/7,500
Jumping the Wall…
- I had two exams. Passed the first. Time will tell about the second, but I think it went well.
- Smoke got a cut on his chin, which he kept scratching and re-opening it, so we had to put him in a tunnel-face and keep both cats in for a week. They got a bit cabin-fever-y, but they also got lots of treats and cuddles, and I got plenty of footage of Smoke hilariously walking into things.
- We visited a family member who had come out of hospital: thank you NHS for always being available.
- I attended my first ever NaNo Write-Ins: two of them across the month.
- I ran a few word sprints on the local WriMos discord server and made some new writing buddies.
- H and I had eye tests, and I got some new glasses.
- Our adventure this month was a lunch-date and movie, which was very ‘normal’ feeling amidst Uni and work.
The Path Ahead…
- I need to re-focus on University week to complete study tasks and my essay by the deadlines.
- All the expectation at work rise in December, which will be… interesting.
- I’ll be beginning the revisions of my short story as it’s due in January.
- I’m going to try to write the 17,800 words required to reach 100k for the year.
- We’ll be seeing family around the festive period, and celebrating Yule with the cats.