“A white lace of frost webs the sidewalk; a kaleidoscope of leaves. Hillsides are ablaze with flame-colored trees, fields lie fallow and dark, and cornstalks dry to the color of bone in the low golden sun. The
sky promises rain tonight and winds rise to torture the clouds. Fog swirls down the darkened street, shrouding the candlelit grin of a glowing jack-o-lantern, and the veil between the land of the living and the land of the dead grows as thin and insubstantial as the mist.”
:: Michelle Morgan ::
Ah, winter. Autumn lasted about 3 weeks, and it was beautiful. I love that crisp, yet sunny time when you can just see your breath but in the sunshine, it’s not that cold. Now, it’s pretty much winter.
Reflections on the Journey
i. Read 12 books: 10 / 10 – I was so ahead in this challenge, and next month is NaNo, so realistically speaking, I’ll need to finish two books in December to stay on track. But that’s do-able, and I have been reading for 20-minutes before bed.
ii. Edit novel draft ready for submission: 1/1 submission – I’m working on a short story submission, and with NaNo coming up, this goal shall be on hold until December.
iii. Track my wordcount and aim for 100,000 words: 31,836/75,000 words – I wrote nearly 10,000 words this month (9,665 to be exact!), and I’m planning to attempt NaNoWriMo in November to bump this word count up. I don’t think I’ll make 100k this year, but I’d at least like to reach 50,000, and if I can pass 75,000, I’d be more than happy.
iv. Re-create a wellness routine: Workouts still happened, and we tried THREE new recipes this month: simple cheese pasta, a simplified version of teriyaki chicken, and a ‘carotti tofu’.
As of November 4th, I had written 6,737/6,667 words, so was still on track!
Total XP for October: 1,200/1,250
Total XP towards Level Up: 3,575/7,500
Jumping the Wall…
- University is going well so far. We’re a small group, and it’s been good fun to meet others and experience what other mental health services in the area are like.
- The garden is pretty happy now. The grass has grown enough for us to cut it, and then we’ll just need to re-seed a couple of patches.
- We cleared and raked 50% of our vegetable patch. The final harvest included one parsnip (the rest remain ready for the next frost), some carrots and runner beans.
- The cats seem to have finished their territorial spats and spend every other evening sat licking each other’s faces and snuggling up together.
- I completed some University tasks early in preparation for NaNo, as I won’t have as much time to study.
The Path Ahead…
- I’m participating in NaNoWriMo, which will take up most of the month outside of University & dayjob.
- I’m aiming to continue working on this short story if I can, but won’t set that goal in stone.
- I have two exams & three written tasks remaining for University in November.