August was full of weather. Indeed.
It was a relaxing month with small pockets of stress, which feels pretty normal. It was cold and rainy then hot and sunny. And so on.
Reflections on the Journey
i. Read 12 books: 10 / 8 – I finished reading The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, which was a brilliant yet unforeseen ending to the first Mistborn trilogy. I have Alloy of Law in my bookcase ready, but shall devote a bit of time to another series for September.
ii. Edit novel draft ready for submission: 1/1 submission – I submitted Darkening Skies to PitchWars. I wasn’t picked this year, but that’s fine — I put the book out there and 4 mentors read some of it. That’s a step a lot of writers don’t take.
iii. Track my wordcount and aim for 100,000 words: 20,514/66,666 words – This month my laptop went away to be repaired, and in short, I got no writing done. I vaguely tried to edit TFG, but with my job role changing and university starting in September, I had a lot to do and didn’t quite manage all that I’d planned.
iv. Re-create a wellness routine: We spent our 6-month anniversary shopping, as my husband loves the random finds in charity shops. Then my birthday rolled around, and we had a picnic of scones in our back garden in the rain… Smoke brought me a LIVE rat to make up for all the dead ones (we managed to distract him until it had run over the garden fence!) and I had a little play around with my first DSLR.
I even took a solid week off work, so H and I did some gardening, emptied the last few boxes from our childhood bedrooms which had been shoved in our spare room, and played a lot of Rust: a game which is basically [The Sims + Bears + Other Players with Assault Rifles].
Total XP for August: 1,000/1,250
Total XP towards Level Up: 7,725/7,500
Total XP towards Level Up: 225/7,500
Jumping the Wall…
- My colleagues and I problem solved some issues with the job change at the beginning of September.
- Smoke brought home his second and third rat; the latter being alive in the garden.
- Ember failed to eat many moths.
- We killed our grass ready to re-do the lawn
- H bought more edible plants while I was at dayjob so our garden may as well be a farmstead by Spring.
- My laptop developed some weird keyboard issues; and although my tablet allows me to check my emails; three weeks without a proper keyboard makes writing difficult.
The Path Ahead…
- We haven’t booked any official time off for September, as I begin at University and cutting down to three days in the office from five is already a squish.
- I’m hoping to get my laptop back soon so that I can catch up on the world.
- I begin my new job role on 5th September, and return to University on 26th. It’s the University my husband attended, and I’ve always liked, so quite excited to return to PG study.
How sunny was your August?
September often brings that ‘back-to-school-feel; how is yours looking?