April began with a day off work to begin our new mini-adventure well-being experiment.
We went to a Wildlife Park we last visited in 2007: just 6 months into dating. This month, at 6-weeks married, it seemed the perfect first place to go. And in a very unusual turn of events, it was even sunny!
Despite attending a funeral and some major news about how things will shift this year at my day-job, this month was generally good. After a full-on two years, it finally feels like things are balancing out again.
Reflections on the Journey
i. Read 12 books: 5 / 4 – I finished reading The Year of Living Danishly and Legion by Brandon Sanderson, meaning I caught up! I then completed my alpha-read of The Felled Gods. I’ve started reading another fiction book, and am close to the end of a writing book.
ii. Edit novel draft ready for submission: 0/1 submission – This month I focused on reading and keeping the editing process enjoyable. Rushing edits does not work well for me, so I’d rather take my time and get it right! I finished my proof-read of TFG, returned to an older story and made some plans for the next novel.
iii. Track my wordcount and aim for 100,000 words: 10,501/33,333 words – I submitted TFG to a beta reader, and began seriously plotting out my next story ready for a fast-draft.
iv. Re-create a wellness routine: I really want to get back to exercising regularly, particularly since both my day-job and writing result in me sitting at a computer screen a lot. However, I have been struggling with my mood over the past couple of months, so meditation and mental space have to come first.
Our mini-adventure this month was a day out at a Wildlife Park.
- I focused on reading, gratitude and exercise. I know that adding new tasks in slowly works best for me, but it’s been nice to make some conscious choices about my health.
- Result: Despite having some tough days, I’ve been feeling much more like my old self and thus have been able to keep on top of challenges a little better this month.
Total XP for April: 1,000/1,250
Total XP towards Level Up: 3,475/7,500
Jumping the Wall…
- I had two Skype dates; playing LittleBigPlanet with a university friend.
- I attended my grand-father’s funeral.
- Day-job began to feel a little more manageable.
- I completed the TFG proof-read.
- My grandmother and parents came to visit, and I won my first game of both Coup and Exploding Kittens.
- Our hand-fasting photo order arrived, as did the big frames. Very happy to have a few of our favourite pictures on the wall.
- We gardened a lot; planting 2 acers, peas, beans, berries and butterfly-welcoming/bee-welcoming flower seeds in the borders.
- My in-laws came down to visit and we visited garden centres, and played card games.
The Path Ahead…
- Next month’s mini-adventure is:
- To be decided!
- I’m hoping to finish the initial plotting and world-building of Skeletal.
- I should finish another book in May to keep on top of my reading goal for this year.
- I’ll be applying for a new day-job opportunity within my current company.